Phlebotomist - Coolidge, Arizona
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE:
Under the supervision of the Practice Manager, the Phlebotomist will obtain and prepare specimens for analysis. Performs quality assurance following all pre-analytical areas of the laboratory and instrument maintenance. The position will ensure that patients and internal customers are serviced in professional and timely manner. Maintains cooperative working relationships with intradepartmental and interdepartmental personnel.
- Obtain and prepare specimens, assuring the quality of operations while complying with all governing regulations.
- Instructs patients in the collection of urine samples, tolerance tests, and stool samples.
- Process specimens per lab or reference lab’s requirements and in a timely manner.
- Performs point - of - care and CLIA waived testing per Laboratory Procedure Manual.
- Hand a copy of critical test results to physician or nurse immediately according to established criteria.
- Maintain the quality control program appropriate for the testing performed, the parameters of acceptable levels of analytic performance, and appropriate data recording.
- Ensure quality by complying with test procedures and adhering to the laboratory’s test performance characteristics, including the precision and accuracy of each test and test system.
- Prepare test reports legibly. Initial and date own work performed. Review reports for clerical accuracy and clinical indications.
- Assist laboratory co - workers in analyzing quality control data and take appropriate corrective action when results are outside acceptable limits.
- Hold patient results until out - of - control situations are resolved. Report unresolved situations to the Laboratory Supervisor.
- Evaluate each request for a laboratory test to identify proper number and type of containers necessary to facilitate distribution to appropriate laboratory sections and reference labs.
- Observe and follow department preventative maintenance schedules.
- Document instrument checks, preventive maintenance, routines, problems, and corrective actions taken.
- Assist laboratory co - workers in recognizing, analyzing, and taking corrective action to resolve instrument or clinical problems.
- Report unresolved instrument or clinical problems to the Laboratory Supervisor.
- Perform clerical functions associated with the designated laboratory area.
- Maintain tally records of work performed for workload and statistical reporting purposes.
- Attend and participate in the preparation and/or presentation of the laboratory continuing education programs.
- Keep work area neat, clean, and re - stock daily supplies.
- Request supplies from as necessary to keep material on hand.
- Follow all OSHA and Universal Precautions guidelines.
- Participate in in-service/education regarding Quality Improvement
- Perform all other related duties as assigned or requested
- Accountability- Role Model, mission, vision and shared values
- Customer Focus:
Has a clear understanding of internal customers needs, preferences, timelines and decision-making criteria
Recognizes that building long-term customer satisfaction is the key to employee engagement
- Teamwork - If someone needs help, help them
- Initiative - Be innovative, apply fresh ideas and continuously improve how you do your work
- Confidentiality - Maintains strict confidentiality and respect the privacy of others
- Ethical - Demonstrate consideration and appreciation for co-workers and customer
- Respect - Demonstrate - consideration and appreciation for co-workers and customer
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Experience in a laboratory environment with similar functions
- Ability to organize and coordinate diverse activities
- Familiarity with state and federal regulations where applicable
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School diploma or equivalency
- Phlebotomist certification preferred
[ X ] High School Diploma or GED [ X ] Certificate [ ] Associate [ ] Bachelor
[ ] License: _________________________________________________________
[ X ] Technical Certificate: Phlebotomy
[ X ] Phlebotomy experience [ ] In lieu of certification/degree
[ ] Degree: __________________________________________________________
[ X ] Bilingual (English-Spanish) preferred [ X ] Filing procedures
[ X ] Computer (MS Office) [ ] Money handling
[ X ] Typing [ X ] Calculator, office machinery, etc.
[ X ] Balancing [ X ] Carrying [ ] Climbing
[ ] Crawling [ X ] Crouching [ X ] Feeling
[ X ] Fingering [ X ] Grasping [ X ] Kneeling
[ X ] Lifting 50 lbs. [ X ] Pulling [ X ] Hearing (communicate)
[ X ] Talking (communicate) [ X ] Sitting [ X ] Standing (mobility)
[ X ] Walking (mobility) [ X ] Vision: far [ X ] Vision: near
[ X ] Vision: color [ X ] Vision: depth [ X ] Vision: (w/ assistance)
[ X ] Airborne particles [ X ] Muscular strain
[ X ] Chemicals [ X ] Caustics
[ X ] Electrical current [ X ] Fumes
[ X ] Noise [ X ] Odors
[ X ] Sharps [ X ] Body fluids
The above statement reflects the general duties considered necessary to perform the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 19871