Medical Laboratory Technician - Casa Grande, Arizona
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE:
Under the supervision of the Laboratory Manager and/or Laboratory Director, the Medical Laboratory Technician will process and prepare specimens for analysis. This position will perform quality assurance following all pre-analytical, analytical, and post-analytical processes in all areas of the laboratory. Follow all Sun Life, state, federal, CLIA, and The Joint Commission requirements and regulations. Will ensure that patients and internal customers are serviced in a professional and timely manner. Will maintain cooperative working relationships and intradepartmental and interdepartmental personnel.
- Communicate and assist patients in a professional and courteous manner.
- Resolve orders in the EHR and LIS.
- Assures patient waiting times are in the best interest of the patient and the flow of the draw room is timely and professional.
- Verify and complete orders. Identify the patient and confirm the correct patient record.
- Resolve orders in the EHR and LIS.
- Complete appropriate laboratory forms documenting tests performed and noting the diagnoses correlating to tests performed.
- Complete lab requisition forms and produce appropriate labels for forms and specimen container(s).
- Obtain specimen(s) from patient of all ages per lab requisition and testing lab requirements, assuring the quality of operations.
- Evaluate each request for a laboratory test to identify proper number and type of containers necessary to facilitate distribution to appropriate laboratory sections and reference labs.
- Instructs patient on the collection of urine samples, tolerance tests, and stool samples.
- Process specimens per testing lab requirements in a timely manner.
- Assist with updates on all laboratory testing per Laboratory Procedure Manual guidelines.
- Perform quality control appropriate for the testing performed and document on the appropriate log.
- Remediate and document difficult tests or abnormal findings.
- Troubleshoot equipment failure and document the problem, steps taken, and final corrective actions.
- Complete LIS tasks: Work in Progress, Reference Lab Match Queue, etc.
- Review logs for clerical accuracy, clinical indications, and prepare for monthly audits.
- Conduct comparisons on method of testing.
- Call and document critical (panic) values to a provider or licensed staff.
- Follow department preventative maintenance schedules.
- Document instrument checks, preventative maintenance, routines, problems, and corrective actions taken.
- Recognize, analyze, and take corrective action to resolve instrument or clinical problems.
- Remediate and report unresolved instrument or clinical problems to the Laboratory Manager.
- Monitors and assures that all patient test results are not reported until all corrective actions have been taken and the test system is properly functioning.
- Participate in laboratory continuing education programs.
- Keep work area neat, clean, and maintain adequate laboratory supplies.
- Assist with training clinical students from affiliated schools.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned or requested by the Laboratory Manager.
- May be assigned responsibilities for coordinating educational activities.
- Accuracy - Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
- Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Communication - Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing according to audience (e.g. employees, management, community, Board of Directors, etc.).
- Flexibility - Ability to adapt easily to changing conditions and work responsibilities.
- Positivity - Display a positive attitude and is a positive agent for change.
- Accountability- Role Model, mission, vision and shared values.
- Customer Focus - Has a clear understanding of internal customer's needs, preferences, timelines and decision-making criteria. Recognizes that building long-term customer satisfaction is the key to employee engagement.
- Teamwork - Work as part of a team and collaborate with co-workers.
- Working Under Pressure - Ability to complete assigned tasks under stressful situations.
- Initiative - Be willing to get things done and take responsibility.
- Confidentiality - Maintain patient, team member and employer confidentiality. Comply with all HIPAA regulations.
- Ethical and Respect - Demonstrate consideration and appreciation for co-workers and customers.
Associates of Science/Applied Science
Medical Laboratory Technician
One year exposure to the laboratory environment
Computer skills (MS Word, Excel, PP)
[ X ] Balancing [ X ] Carrying [ X ] Crouching
[ X ] Feeling [ X ] Fingering [ X ] Grasping
[ X ] Kneeling [ X ] Lifting 50 lbs. [ X ] Pulling
[ X ] Hearing (communicate) [ X ] Talking (communicate) [ X ] Sitting
[ X ] Standing (mobility) [ X ] Walking (mobility) [ X ] Vision: far
[ X ] Vision: near [ X ] Vision: color [ X ] Vision: depth
[ X ] Vision: (w/ assistance)
[ X ] Airborne particles [ X ] Muscular strain
[ X ] Chemicals [ X ] Caustics
[ X ] Electrical current [ X ] Fumes
[ X ] Noise [ X ] Odors
[ X ] Sharps [ X ] Body fluids
The above statement reflects the general duties considered necessary to perform the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
Job Status: On Call
Job Reference #: 22204