Lead Certified Pharmacy Technician - Casa Grande, Arizona
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE:
Assist the Pharmacist with dispensing medication and the technical and clerical aspects of Pharmacy services. Provide administrative supervision and services for the Pharmacy personnel, specifically all pharmacy technicians at the site they primarily work at and pharmacy support personnel including pharmacy clerks and pharmacy technician students. The lead certified pharmacy technician will be expected to have a cooperative relationship with the pharmacy manager in order to optimize workflow and optimize operations at the pharmacy.
A. Contribute to the effective operation of the department.
- Receive prescriptions or medication orders for emergency or clinic supplies, select the appropriate drug and quantity, fill the order accurately, and after verification by pharmacist completes transaction by billing the appropriate party correctly.
- Demonstrate knowledge of pharmacy computer system by entering prescriptions promptly and accurately, billing multiple payors correctly, and printing required reports and labels.
- Assist the pharmacist with identification of medication order or prescription processing problems, proposed solutions, implementation of solutions, and follow up.
- Answer telephone identifying self and department. Direct calls to appropriate personnel or assist patients with questions or concerns in a professional manner.
- Answer requests at the window and make medication order runs to pick up orders or deliver medications to clinic areas as needed.
- Maintain and update the integrity of the pharmacy computer databases and perform routine maintenance or backups.
- Supervise the balancing of the cash register(s), prepare daily deposit, and deliver it to the appropriate personnel for deposit into the bank.
- Organize and prioritize work assignments.
- Maintain logs, records, and other required documentation accurately. File documentation in appropriate locations.
- Demonstrate good oral and written communication.
- Keep pharmacy areas clean, neat, and well organized. Keep all pharmacy equipment clean and maintained.
- Demonstrate proficiency in pharmacy automation/robotic system calibration, maintenance, and use.
- Assist the pharmacist in the advance preparation and performance of physical inventories.
- Assist the pharmacist in the education, testing, and maintenance of departmental competencies.
- Responsible for assisting pharmacy leadership in maintaining all technicians and clerk licensing and documentation to meet all legal requirements, including continuing education.
B. Maintain adequate stock of medication and supplies according to established policies and procedures.
- Assist in ordering, receiving, unpacking, and storing medications and supplies in appropriate locations and ensures the proper pricing of all such items.
- Rotate stock to ensure use before expiration date.
- Identify and replace, as needed, outdated and unusable medications.
- Repackage bulk medications into unit of use packages safely and accurately per established procedures using appropriate techniques.
- Replenish emergency and clinic supplies accurately.
- Supervise the ordering of medication and supplies, verification of orders from vendors, and returning incorrect, expired, or damaged items.
- Assist the pharmacy manager in supervision of the monitoring of stock levels of medications and purchasing statistics, and maintaining of appropriate inventory levels.
- Supervise the prompt and accurate issuing and billing of medications and supplies to other departments and the reporting of such to accounting.
- Assist the pharmacy manager in the supervision of the identification and retrieval of all recalled medications, their proper disposal, and documentation.
C. Participate in the quality improvement activities of the department.
- Complete and document all assigned medication storage area inspections.
- Identify and replace outdated and unusable medications
- Collect data, conduct quality monitors, and complete documentation as assigned
D. Maintains competence required for current job title/position.
- Maintain current technician certification and licensure
- Attend and help lead pharmacy staff meetings
- Participate in orientation, education, and training programs. Review literature and other materials as assigned
- Complete all competence/skills assessment requirements
- Punctual and dependable, report to work as scheduled. Absenteeism and tardiness is within policy guidelines
- Maintain a neat, professional, well-groomed appearance. Observe pharmacy dress code. Wear identification badge at all times
- Perform work within specified timeframes. Adapt positively to frequent interruptions and changes in workload and/or work schedule
- Provide courteous, cooperative, and timely service to patients, visitors, and staff. Demonstrate good oral and written communication
- Work cooperatively with all staff and voice concerns and suggestions to appropriate person(s), in a positive manner
- Demonstrate sound judgment consistent with training/academic background
- Maintain strict confidentiality of patient, visitor, and employee information
- Comply with HIPAA Privacy Rule standards
- Foster a team environment by providing orientation and training to new team members. Assist co-workers in tasks, as time permits
- Adhere to Sun Life policies and procedures. Comply with all requirements related to risk management, safety, medication use safety, security, fire safety, and infection control. Comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations. Perform all duties under the direct supervision of a registered pharmacist
- Participate in in-service/education.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned or requested by pharmacy leadership.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Experience as a Pharmacy Technician in a similar setting
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Cash handling experience
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School diploma or equivalency
- Pharmacy Technician Certification and State license required
- At least 3 years of technician experience preferred
- At least 1 year of prior management experience preferred
[x] High School Diploma or GED
[x] Technical Certification: Pharmacy Tech certification required
[x] License: Arizona State Pharmacy Technician License
[ ] [ ] addition to cert/degree;
[ ] in lieu of cert/degree
[ ] Degree: ___________________________________
[x] Bilingual (English-Spanish) Preferred (based on patient/staff balance)
[x] Computer literate
[x] Filing procedures
[x] Money handling
[ ] Calculator, office machines, etc.
[x] Balancing [x] Carrying [ ] Climbing
[ ] Crawling [x] Crouching [x] Feeling
[x] Fingering [x] Grasping [x] Kneeling
[x] Lifting 50 lbs. [x] Pulling [x] Hearing (communicate)
[x] Talking (communicate) [ ] Sitting [x] Standing (mobility)
[x] Walking (mobility) [x] Vision: far [x] Vision: near
[x] Vision: color [x] Vision: depth [x] Vision: (w/assistance)
[x] Airborne particles [x] Muscular strain
[x] Chemicals [x] Caustics
[x] Electrical current [x] Fumes
[x] Noise [x] Odors
[x] Sharps [x] Body fluids
The above statement reflects the general duties considered necessary to perform the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 25353