Clinical Lab Assistant I - Casa Grande, Arizona
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE:
Under the supervision of the Laboratory Supervisor, the Clinical Laboratory Assistant I will obtain and process specimens for clinical analysis. Provide data in the diagnosis or treatment of diseases by performing certain routine procedures under established policies. Assume responsibility for accurate results and records. Primarily is responsible for performing phlebotomy procedures including specimen collection, CLIA-waived testing, and moderate complex testing.
- Performs pre-analytic processing: Order process, patient identification checks, and specimen collecting procedures.
- Available to cover at other SLFHC locations when needed.
- Evaluate patient orders for test codes and specimen type necessary to facilitate distribution to appropriate laboratory area and/or reference labs.
- Instructs patients in the collection of urine samples, tolerance tests, and stool samples.
- Record tests/requisitions in logbook.
- Performs Point-of-Care testing, CLIA-waived and non-waived testing, where training and certificates by trainer is provided and signed off by the Laboratory Supervisor.
- Creates slides for manual differentials when necessary.
- Analyze quality control data for each procedure performed, record values on appropriate log sheets, and report to Medical Technologist or Laboratory Manager when result(s) are outside its limits.
- Consult with Medical Technologist or Laboratory Manager regarding difficult tests or abnormal findings.
- Record all test results in laboratory logbook or records system and monitor that test results are received in a timely manner.
- Perform routine maintenance of specified equipment and troubleshoot on instruments when breakdowns occur.
- Notify Medical Technologist or Laboratory Manager of equipment failure and document the problem, steps taken, and final corrective actions.
- Clean laboratory glassware, refrigerator/freezers, centrifuges and equipment by maintenance protocol and as necessary.
- Maintain working area in a sanitary condition.
- Request supplies to CLA III as necessary to keep material on hand.
- Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of specimen/test requirements.
- Assist in clerical duties of the department.
- Schedule procedures as necessary, file paperwork as required, and perform proper billing procedures.
- Assist CLA II Lead Waived/Non — Waived Bench in demonstrating and training new lab employees and students in phlebotomy and waived/non — waived bench testing.
- Closing shift responsibilities: Clearing test worklist, check specimen send — outs, and correct errors found in collections, processing and test requirements. With this information must be documented and notify Lead CLA or Laboratory Supervisor of findings.
- Distribute test reports and abnormal/critical test results to the providers.
Follow all OSHA and Universal Precautions guidelines.
- Participate in in-service/education regarding Quality Improvement
- Perform all other related duties as assigned or requested
- Accountability- Role Model, mission, vision and shared values
- Customer Focus:
Has a clear understanding of internal customers needs, preferences, timelines and decision-making criteria
Recognizes that building long-term customer satisfaction is the key to employee engagement
- Teamwork - If someone needs help, help them
- Initiative - Be innovative, apply fresh ideas and continuously improve how you do your work
- Confidentiality - Maintains strict confidentiality and respect the privacy of others
- Ethical - Demonstrate consideration and appreciation for co-workers and customer
- Respect - Demonstrate - consideration and appreciation for co-workers and customer
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- One year experience in a laboratory environment with similar functions
- Ability to organize and coordinate diverse activities
- Familiarity with state and federal regulations where applicable
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School diploma or equivalency
- Graduate of formal Phlebotomist program
- Certified Phlebotomist preferred
[x] High School Diploma or GED [x] Certificate [ ] Associate [ ] Bachelor
[x] License: ___________________________________
[x] Technical Certificate: Phlebotomist
[x] 1 year laboratory/phlebotomy experience [x] in lieu of cert/degree
[ ] Degree: ___________________________________
[x] Bilingual (English-Spanish) Preferred
[x] Computer literate
[x] Filing procedures
[ ] Money handling
[x] Calculator, office machines, etc.
[x] Balancing [x] Carrying [ ] Climbing
[ ] Crawling [x] Crouching [x] Feeling
[x] Fingering [x] Grasping [x] Kneeling
[x] Lifting 50 lbs. [x] Pulling [x] Hearing (communicate)
[x] Talking (communicate) [x] Sitting [x] Standing (mobility)
[x] Walking (mobility) [x] Vision: far [x] Vision: near
[x] Vision: color [x] Vision: depth [x] Vision: (w/assistance)
[x] Airborne particles [x] Muscular strain
[x] Chemicals [x] Caustics
[x] Electrical current [x] Fumes
[x] Noise [x] Odors
[x] Sharps [x] Body fluids
The above statement reflects the general duties considered necessary to perform the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
Job Status: On Call
Job Reference #: 15600